Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Blog Tour 2014

Friend and fellow writer Loretta Ellsworth asked me to join a blog tour, where I say a little about the people before me in the tour, answer 4 questions, and then introduce you all to the next blogger in the chain. 

So, here's a little about Loretta:


My favorite book of Loretta's is her YA novel In Search of Mockingbird. It's got all the right elements: a girl on her own, a cross-country bus ride, and many references to To Kill a Mockingbird.

Before Loretta's entry in the blog tour, Mary Losure added hers. My favorite book of Mary's (so far):

The Fairy Ring is the very best in narrative nonfiction for kids. It reads like a mini-novel and it includes two real girls who outsmarted Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. You go, girls!

Before Loretta and Mary, Eileen Beha joined the tour. If you don't already know Eileen's great novel Tango: The Tale of an Island Dog, then pick up a copy or listen to it on audio. It's got a Prince Edward Island setting and a dog and engaging writing. Enuf said...almost. You see, Eileen has a book coming out in August:

The Secrets of Eastcliff-by-the-Sea is an old-fashioned tale and has already garnered a starred review in Kirkus. (Doubtless the first of many...)

Now to the blog tour questions:

Q: What am I currently working on? 
A: Along with the story-slinger blog, I'm working on a middle-grade novel that takes Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca and re-casts it as a contemporary adoption story set in Louisville, KY. No, I'm not kidding. 

Also, I'm researching a nonfiction book about great dogs who were rescued from the streets or from shelters. 

Q: How does my work differ from others in its genre?
A: Tough one to answer since I write in several genres: nonfiction (like Hope and Tears: Ellis Island Voices), picture storybooks (like Riding to Washington), and middle-grade novels (like Chig and the Second Spread). So I ask you, blog tour: What is my genre??

Q: Why do I write what I write?
A: Because I'm drawn to the subject and the subject just won't leave me alone. No, I'm not a writer who says, "The characters talk to me." But characters and topics do get lodged in my brain, leaving only to go inside the covers of a book.

Q: How does my writing process work?
A: Very slowly, amid the detritus of everyday life, in between getting the car worked on, watching track meets, walking the dog, and picking up an endless supply of discarded dirty socks from the floor.

Who's next on the blog tour? Shelley Sommer, school librarian, teacher, blogger extraordinaire, and last but not least writer for children. A little about her:


Shelley Sommer, author of the award-winning Hammerin' Hank Greenberg, not only writes great children's nonfiction, but also has a wide-ranging and cool blog (called Sommer Reading) about books and the joys of reading.


The 2014 Blog Tour continues at Sommer Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment