Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Get Unbored: Summer Reading, Part V


Every summer reading list needs some nonfiction. Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun (Bloomsbury, 2012) by Joshua Glenn and Elizabeth Foy Larsen fits the bill. I checked this book out thinking I might buy a copy for my kids. But after reading for awhile, I realized I wanted a copy…for me.

Unbored is a compendium of random information, how-tos, lists, and mini-reviews, illustrated with line drawings that show kids in a state of un-bored-ness. This is not a book to sit down and read, cover to cover. Instead, it’s a hefty encyclopedia to dip into when bored.

A sampler of what you’ll find inside:

·      Instructions on how to short-sheet a bed

·      Easy home-alone recipes to make for yourself

·      A short (gross) history of your bathroom

·      An annotated list of banned books you should read (including my favorite, the Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey)

·      A primer on making stop-motion movies, followed by a listing of great stop-motion animation films

Short essays from guest writers young and old fill out the text, giving readers everything from a kid’s tips on taking a first solo mass-transit bus ride to an adult movie critic’s advice on “How to Criticize Everything.”

I read the latter, but, really, I’m still having a hard time criticizing Unbored.



No comments:

Post a Comment