Thursday, March 21, 2013

Best-Sellers of 2012


What to make of Publishers Weekly’s recently released figures on the best-selling children’s books of 2012?

Well, there are a lot of the usual suspects: Wimpy Kids, Suzanne Collins, YA series fiction. There are even some interesting no-shows, like Harry Potter, as Travis Jonker of 100 Scope Notes points out.

The three most interesting titles to me were:

#20 Hardcover Frontlist 
(aka it’s new in hardcover in 2012)
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green



# 29 Hardcover Frontlist
Wonder by R.J. Palacio



#16 Paperback Frontlist
(aka it’s new in paper in 2012)

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper


The first two are no surprise, based on my experience working in a thriving independent bookstore, Wellesley Books. Although neither Fault nor Wonder received big awards from the American Library Association, they were great sellers in 2012. Better yet, at my store at least, Fault appears to be picking up steam as we head into 2013. I’ve sold it to both adults and young adults, most of whom seem to be responding to friends’ recommendations, or word-of-mouth.

I’m totally unsurprised to see that Fault is going to become a movie in the near future, with Shailene Woodley cast as Hazel. Locally, here in the Boston area, Wonder has already been given a marathon staged reading in Newton.

What about that Sharon Draper novel? I’ll admit, Out of My Mind really did surprise me. Focusing on the life of Melody, an eleven-year-old who struggles with severe cerebral palsy, Out wasn’t on my radar. But this is one title I’ll be adding to my reading list.

What are your thoughts? Any books you’re surprised to see—or thought you would see, but didn’t?


1 comment:

  1. I was extremely happy to see that OUT OF MY MIND reached PW's bestseller list. I often recommend this book, WONDER or RULES by Cynthia Lord to young readers as well as adults who are interested in books about people with physical and/or intellectual challenges.

    ReplyDelete