Monday, December 31, 2012

A Quick Recap of 2012 Favorites


It’s time to make lists of favorite things, so here’s a recap of my favorite new books for young readers published in 2012. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to story fans, ages two to one hundred and two.

If you’re looking for more detailed reviews, just click on the titles or scan my earlier posts for this year.

Unspoken: A Story from the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole. My favorite picture book that can't be read aloud. (It's wordless.)
It’s A Tiger! written by David LaRochelle; illustrated by Jeremy Tankard. My favorite picture book that demands to be read aloud.
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz. One of three favorites for  middle-grade readers.
Wonder by R. J. Palacio. Another favorite for middle-grade readers.
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. A final middle-grade fave.  
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. My favorite read for young adults.

The Fairy Ring: Elsie and Frances Fool the World (a true story) by Mary Losure was a great nonfiction read for kids. And, um, is it fair to mention that I had great fun writing another nonfiction kids' book: Hope and Tears: Ellis Island Voices?

2 comments:

  1. All great books, Gwenyth, as is HOPE AND TEARS: ELLIS ISLAND VOICES! WONDER was my favorite middle grade read last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwenyth, thanks so much for including The Fairy Ring!

    ReplyDelete