Wednesday, July 18, 2012

More Books about Travel


The moving truck deposited our stuff. My trusty car brought me, two kids, and a dwarf hamster safely from Minnesota. Now, as the dust settles from my cross-country move, I’m thinking again of books about traveling.

Here are a few more great ones, some suggested by readers of the Book-Slinger Blog. Keep the suggestions coming!

Paul suggests The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant. Boasting Caldecott Honor-worthy illustrations by Stephen Gammell, this is a raucous take on what happens when family descends upon a household. It’s more a celebration of family ties than of travel, but the station wagon that disgorges all the relatives took me straight back to childhood road trips.

Pat recommends one of Nancy White Carlstrom’s first picture books, The Moon Came, Too, illustrated by Stella Ormai. While now out of print, the book is one you’ll still find at many libraries. In gentle, rhyming text Carlstrom (author of the Jesse Bear series) presents a child’s anticipation of and joy at visiting her grandmother.


Since I’ve just moved to the greater Boston area, I’ve got one wish and one recommendation:

I’ve been wishing that Czech artist and writer Miroslav Sasek had created a This Is Boston to go along with This Is Ireland, This Is London, This Is New York, et al. Too bad he didn’t! This wonderful series stands the test of time and is visually stunning.

Lastly, I’m thrilled to see all around me a green and leafy Massachusetts setting much like that in Henry Hikes to Fitchburg by D. B. Johnson. Henry the bear’s 30-mile journey from Concord to Fitchburg may seem short or even downright unambitious by today’s standards, but he packs it full of adventures worthy of his human namesake and inspiration, Henry David Thoreau.

Thanks to all for suggestions & comments. If you’ve got more travel books (especially novels) to recommend, please let the Book-Slinger know.

3 comments:

  1. Cynthia Voigt's Homecoming and Dicey's Song came to mind when I saw the other Cynthia mentioned. I love those books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're settled in your new house and town, Gwenyth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished THE BORROWER. ("A librarian and a young boy obsessed with reading take to the road.") It's odd, but I liked it. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

    A great old Boston book is MAKE WAY FOR DUCKLINGS. You can go see the swan boats for us!

    ReplyDelete