Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spine Poetry: The Localire Edition

If you follow this blog, you may already be familiar with the term LOCALIRE. It's the book-reader's version of locavore--someone who reads books created by writers in his or her local area.


I've taken this idea in a new direction, getting ready for April and Poetry Month. My inspiration is elementary school librarian and blogger Travis Jonker who recently put up a post about spine poetry.


Specifically, he's put out a call for spine centos. What's that? A cento, Wikipedia tells me, is "a poetical work wholly composed of verses or passages taken from other authors; only disposed in a new form or order." In this case, the "verses or passages" are the titles displayed on the spine.


This try at a Localire Spine Cento was created at my middle school library, with help from a sixth grader:



Suggestions? Other localire (Minnesota/Wisconsin) titles I might add? 


I'm open to all suggestions--and apologize for cutting off some of the titles. The authors, by the way, are in order: Anne Ursu, Marsha Qualey, Pete Hautman and Mary Logue, Loretta Ellsworth, and Marion Dane Bauer. Many thanks to all of these authors for having such memorable and poetical titles.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this before. How clever (and hard!) But also fun. And thanks for including my books:)

    ReplyDelete