Friday, December 9, 2011

Don’t injure your eyes in the middle of a good book, especially if it’s Breadcrumbs


I’m a pretty accurate touch typist, but today I’m also relying on SpellCheck and your patience. I am halfway through Anne Ursu’s Breadcrumbs and my left eye has gone wonky. So wonky that I spent an hour at Urgent Care last night trying to figure out what’s wrong.

While yellow dye whooshed through my eye, I kept having to fight off the urge to grab the doctor by his stethoscope (decorated with hippie beading) and yell, “BUT HAZEL IS LOST IN THE WOODS! AND JACK HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY A WHITE QUEEN—WHO OFFERED HIM TURKISH DELIGHT!!!”

“GIVE ME BACK MY EYESIGHT! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!”

Only later, after putting in drops, did I realize how strangely fitting this problem is. In Breadcrumbs a malicious mirror breaks, and bits of the glass fall to earth. One small bit lodges in Jack’s eye and changes him, much for the worse. Since I started reading the book, I’ve had the sensation that something’s in my eye.

Is something really in there? Or is it simply the power of well-written fiction?

I’m off to the optometry department to see.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how synchronously spooky. That bit of mirror in Jack's eye was on my mind all throughout that book ... ouch! And ouch for you, too. Hope your eye-ache is over soon.

    ReplyDelete