Wednesday, December 7, 2011

2011 Middle Grade/YA Favorites

CCBC, or the Cooperative Children's Book Center in Madison, WI, (http://www.education.wisc.edu/ccbc/ccbcnet/default.asp) is having its annual discussion of the best books for kids, so it's time I chimed in. Here's the ever-changing list (in no particular order) that I'll soon be sharing with 6th, 7th, and 8th graders at my school:




Caldecott?
Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick






Newbery?

Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt
True (…Sort of)  by Katherine Hannigan
Small Persons with Wings by Ellen Boreem
Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
Bluefish by Pat Schmatz




Printz?
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
The Big Crunch by Pete Hautman









Sibert?
Flesh and Blood So Cheap by Albert Marrin
How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg
Through No Fault of My Own by Coco Irvine



The idea is that after I give 20-second intros to each book (think speed-dating someone with a shiny paper jacket), I ask the students which books I should order. Also, come late January, after ALA announces the actual winners, we get to see if I was able to predict which of those shiny jackets will be sporting silver or gold medals.


By the way, the images are random: They're not necessarily my top choices for each category, but they're all of really great books.

No comments:

Post a Comment